Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Settling In

I finished unpacking last night while I watched the Olympics on TV. I am getting used to the remodeled condo. I really like all the new appliances and the fact that everything is clean and new. But I am a little cautious because I don't want to be the one who messes up the new decor.

The temperature has been in the 40s for a few days so the snow is melting away. I was amazed to see that there are still cars parked along the street that haven't been dug out of the snow and there are sidewalks that haven't been cleared yet. Some of the piles of snow are still 3-4 feet high even with the melting. The first wave of the snowpocalypse was February 5th so it has been snowy here for a long time! Schools were closed for 10 days and some of the bus stops are still not cleared. The commuters tell me that the roads are worse than normal (and normal is bad enough) because there are places on the freeway where they couldn't push any more snow off the road so the lane will end unexpectedly with a big snow pile. And people are constantly dodging potholes and swerving into other lanes. A few more days of above freezing temperatures should take care of the snow.

I am making a presentation to the staff on Thursday to update them on my project and the progress to date. So I am reviewing all my background materials and preparing a few slides to present my project. I am also still collecting documents for the project. There are 114 possible sets of promotion and tenure documents for my project. I have collected 99 sets as of today. When I hit 100 I will celebrate. There are 5 schools too new to have these documents so I only have 10 schools to badger into providing their documents. I think a few of them are also too new to have developed the documents but I wish they would let me know!

Everything else is going smoothly. There is a student here on an experiential rotation from Minnesota. She is newly married and away from her husband. I think I will invite her over for dinner one night, and maybe we can go out sometime on a weekend. I hope she likes basketball!

No comments:

Post a Comment