Friday, September 25, 2009

Another Visitor, then Going Home

I'm up early, having some coffee before we get on the road. We need to be through DC before the morning rush hours start. Being caught in the morning traffic here on the Capital Beltway is not a place for a girl from Kentucky.

Last night Mike and I had dinner with Jeff Hughes, another friend from Kentucky. He was in town for the same NIH study section as Mike Jay. Jeff was a student of mine quite a few years ago and was a faculty member at Florida (yes, the dreaded Gators) for a long time. He recently took a job with Roche in New Jersey. It was fun to see him and hear about what it is like to work in the drug industry these days. We went to LaPorta's, had some excellent food, a few drinks and listened to music.

This morning we are heading home. Mike has to begin his teaching block for medical students next week. He worked hard during his month as a house husband (not just taking care of me) but also updating his lectures and handouts for the semester. He is taking the car home since I won't need it, and I am riding along so he doesn't have to travel the 540 miles alone. I will fly back on Sunday . I am not looking forward to the drive. I have decided that West Virginia, particularly along I-79, is the most God-forsaken road I have ever travelled. But we have some books on tape to help pass the time.

I am looking forward to dinner with John and Brittany this evening at one of our favorite Lexington restaurants and seeing how everything looks at home.

2 comments:

  1. do you ever do any work? it sounds like you are partying the entire time. eating here...drinking there. where do i send my resume

    ReplyDelete
  2. well if that isnt the pot calling the kettle black

    ReplyDelete