Tuesday, September 29, 2009

You can't please all of the people all of the time

I have been consciously writing about the non-work related aspects of my sabbatical experience because I received a few comments that my blog was too boring. Now I am getting comments that I must not be doing any work since all I write about is going out to dinner, sports, etc. So I vow to include enough work-related stuff to convince all of you that I really am doing something of socially redeeming value. This morning I read in the Chronical of Higher Education about a researcher who thinks he is closing in on the search for a universal flu vaccine that began with a sabbatical project 20 years ago. However, I doubt that my sabbatical project on the scholarship of teaching will save the world from infectious disease or bring about world peace.

Today I am thinking about my husband who is celebrating his birthday without me. Since we have both reached the age when birthdays cease to be fun and are mainly reminders that another year has gone by, I think he won't mind having a low-key birthday. I do need to remind him, however, that he is older than me--even if it is only 2 days.

Yesterday I made my first trip to Whole Foods. I have avoided going there since my arrival because it is likely to be an expensive experience--both in dollars and calories. I managed to escape with a small container of white chicken chili for dinner and a loaf of bread.

Well, it is time to get to work. Who knows? The scholarship of teaching may one day save the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment