Thursday, October 1, 2009

A busy day

Yesterday was probably the busiest day I have had since arriving in Virginia. I started the day at work trying to figure out my sampling strategy. Whitney was very helpful in thinking through what groups I needed to survey and I mapped out a draft of the sample I will use. It will need more work but I feel like I am making progress. It's hard to be patient in the early stages but I know it is important to get it right before I start the survey process or the end result won't be good.

At noon, Ken Miller drove me over to Bolling Air Force Base. My nephew Jeremy was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and I was invited to the ceremony. I have never attended this type of event and it was quite interesting. I think it was somewhat like a wedding because the ceremonial aspects were quite similar. There were greeters to get us to the right location. The family had reserved seats in the front with our names on the chairs. Before the ceremony started, the family met in a conference room with T-JAG, the "big cheese" in the JAG. I have heard a lot about him from my sister who has attended some of their conferences and seen T-JAG in action. When the ceremony started, the family came in first and then Jeremy and T-JAG. There was a narrator who walked us through the steps of the ceremony. Lacy, who is 6, played the Star Spangled Banner on the piano (no mistakes at all!) and Joel, who is 9, recited the Pledge of Allegiance. T-JAG spoke about Jeremy. It was impressive that he could talk about Jeremy's whole life history from growing up in North Canton, Ohio, his education, and his full military career. He also knew a lot about Heather, the children and Jeremy's parents, Lynn and Dick. After the promotion order was read and the pinning of insignia was finished, Jeremy said a few words (not as many as T-JAG). There was also a receiving line. There were more than 50 people in attendance including lots of people Jeremy works with, friends and neighbors, and the family. Then there was a reception. It was a very impressive ceremony. There were tears from the wife and mother, a cake and lots of pictures were taken. Very much like a wedding except no wedding dress and everything happened on time with military precision.

After the promotion ceremony, my brother-in-law Dick, drove me back to Alexandria where my niece Joyce from Cleveland was waiting for me. I quickly changed into spectator clothes and we took off on the Metro to see the Washington Nationals final home game of the season. I was a little concerned about the game because Joyce bought the tickets from a guy who advertised on Craig's list. They were really good seats in the lower deck between third base and home plate and he was selling them for half price. We were supposed to meet him before the game, but he was late, so we missed the first inning. They were giving away Nationals blankets at the gate, so we both got a souvenir from our visit. It sprinkled a little during the first few innings but the weather cleared up and the game was moving along quickly. Since the Nationals and Mets are two of the worst teams in the NL this season, there wasn't much action--until we got to the ninth inning. The Mets were leading 4-2 going into the bottom of the inning. A small group of loyal fans remained in the stands (including us). The Nationals managed to load the bases, thanks to a couple of walks. It was 4-3 with two outs and Justin Maxwell hit a walk-off grand slam to end the game and the Nationals home season. The crowd went wild as if they had just won the World Series. It was an exciting way to end the game.

Joyce and I rode home on the Metro and stopped at Joe Theismann's restaurant for a salad and to watch some more baseball. When we got home, we were both exhausted. Joyce is sightseeing today while I work. I'm hoping for a quieter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment