Monday, October 19, 2009

Rainy weekend






The rain continued Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Mike arrived on Friday to spend the weekend with me and wisely rented a car. I had looked into getting a zip car. Those are short term rentals that are parked around the DC area. When you sign up for an account, you get a card that unlocks any of the cars. You just look on-line to see where the nearest one is parked and go get it. It seems like a good idea but the sign-up process costs $75. So it is just cheaper for me to get a rental car at Reagan airport.
We went to the National Air and Space Museum at Dulles Airport. It was awesome. There are many more planes than they can house at the museum on the mall. I posted pictures of my favorites--the Enola Gay and an SR 71 Blackbird. It was amazing to see the actual plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima. I liked the Blackbird because it travelled from California to Washington in 1 hour, 4 minutes. I wish it was a commercial airliner. I could get home in 15-20 minutes. They also have a space shuttle and a plane developed by Orville and Wilbur Wright. It was airplane sensory overload. I can hardly wait for Chris to come visit. He will love the place. We also went over to the Air Force Memorial so Mike could see it, but it was raining too hard to stay.
It was good to have a car for the weekend since it would have been hard to travel on foot in the rain. I did some grocery shopping and cooking. Otherwise, we just tried to stay out of the rain and watched football. Unfortunately, all of my teams lost this weekend except the Wildcats who had an unexpected victory at Auburn. Perhaps there is still hope for a bowl game?
Just nine days until I go home for the accreditation site visit. I will also need to finish packing my office for the move to the new building since I will be moving about one week after I get back home in December. Thanks Jeff for putting our suite in the first wave of moving so we can get it finished. I can hardly wait.
Now it is back to work on my project. I am expecting more company tomorrow--my sister-in-law and her husband, Joe and Joan. I am more popular now than I was at home. I guess it isn't me--it is the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment