Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I need a nap















For someone who was wondering how to spend three days alone in Virginia, I sure had a busy weekend. I have already described my visit on Saturday to Lorton to visit my nephew and his family. On Sunday morning, my son John called to say that he and his wife, Brittany "aka" Bridget (it is a long story for another day), decided to leave Kentucky that afternoon and drive straight through to Alexandria. They arrived about 11PM. We went out for a little while so they could unwind and got to bed about 1AM.
On Monday (Columbus Day - no one in this area works) we had a full day. We went to the Air Force Memorial close to Arlington Cemetery. It is small but very moving. You can see John's artistic pic of me and Brittany. He wanted to get the top of the spires and still have us in the picture. I think a more interesting picture might have been John laying on the ground shooting the picture. The second picture of John and Brittany in front of the honor guard is interesting. This picture makes John and Brittany look like miniaturized versions of themselves standing next to life size soldiers.
I didn't realize how much I have learned from Chris about the Air Force. There are panels with the core values and others with all of the Air Force Medal of Honor winners. I recognized Frank Luke, the class of 2010 exemplar, and Lance Sijan, for whom Sijan Hall is named. I think he was the first USAFA graduate to receive the Medal of Honor. I think Chris will enjoy visiting there next time he comes to Washington.

We spent the rest of the day shopping at the Pentagon City mall and we strolled King Street. We had happy hour and dinner at the Fish Market (Mike will be jealous of the 2 lb lobster that John ate). We rode the trolley back home and got to bed early. This morning John and Brittany left for New Jersey where John will be in a wedding. It was lots of fun to have them visit, but now I need a nap.

Unfortunately, it is a work day and I have many things to do. The nap will have to wait until tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment