Friday, October 23, 2009

More Company

I have become very popular since I came to Virginia. This week my sister-in-law Joan and her husband Joe came to visit. They arrived Tuesday night and are leaving today. While I went to work during the day, they came over from their hotel and parked at the condo. Then they jumped on the Metro to go into DC. In two days, they got to see most of the things on the National Mall and Arlington Cemetery. Joe has a reputation for taking lots of pictures (emphasize the word LOTS), so it was slow going for them. As of last night, he had 400 pictures.

They came over every evening and we went out to dinner. I took them to some of my usual places. Last night, thanks to Brad at AACP, we ventured off the tourist path and went to Arlington to eat at the Capitol City Brewing Company. I was glad to find a new area to explore and find a number of new restaurants. Our most interesting dinner was Wednesday night at Joe Theismann's. We had a new server who was very enthusiastic but very slow. Tables all around us turned over and we were still waiting for our check. When the check came, Joe gave the server his credit card and, after a wait, the bill came back. Joe signed it and we were about to get up when Joan noticed that it was not our bill. We figured up what our bill should have been. It was about the same total, so Joe said, "he brought me a bill and I paid it." We left. I think he figured if we told him about the mixup it would have taken another half-hour to straighten it out.

On the work front, this week was a little frustrating. I had software problems for two days that disrupted working on my pilot project. The outcome was good though. I got my computer back yesterday and I had Adobe Acrobat added. That will facilitate some of my work. I think I have finished working with the 5 pilot schools. Now I need to start collecting documents from other schools. That will probably be the most frustrating part of my project.

I have the weekend here in Alexandria on my own. Of course, there is rain coming in today. That will be OK since I have some housework and lots of reading to do. I have to reread parts of the Kentucky self-study document for my trip home next week to participate in the ACPE visit. I also have documents from the accreditation visit I am participating in next month in Wisconsin. Finally, I have the board book from AACP to read for the board meeting right after I get back from home. So I guess rain might be a good thing.

I will make time to watch some college football tomorrow if I can find Kentucky on TV. I will also watch OSU, but with some trepidation. They have not been impressive in recent weeks.

I hope this catches everyone up on the latest news from Alexandria.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are still posting! I've been traveling so much, that I haven't been able to post encouraging comments! I'm in AZ now, but still have so much jet-lag that I've been up since 3 am!
    Melody

    ReplyDelete