Wednesday, September 23, 2009

It's great to have company

Mike and I have been looking forward to a visit from North Carolinians, Mike and Susan Jay. To me they are still Kentuckians. I understand that during basketball season, they fly their UK flag--Wildcats Forever!

We ate at The Wharf and had some great seafood. Mike is in town for an NIH study section meeting at the Hilton--just two blocks from us. Once again, it is a small world. That seems to be a theme of my sabbatical experience.

We got to catch up on what is happening in their family. Steven has started a post-doc at Harvard. This follows a PhD at Yale. Pretty strong credentials for the job market. He knew both the graduate student who was killed at Yale as well as the guy accused of the killing. Okay, I've got to say it again--it's a small world.......

Susan spent the summer at the Finger Lakes in New York and is considering giving up the life of leisure for a part-time job. I'm hoping she will return for a weekend visit later during my time in Alexandria so we can do some sightseeing together. We are going to meet for a cup of coffee in the morning so I can wish her happy birthday.

3 comments:

  1. sorry i called in the middle of your visit. i enjoy reading your blog over my coffee in the morning. i usually read that then check on my fantasy baseball team then fantasy football team then maybe ill do some work

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, I see you have your priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete