Tuesday, September 15, 2009

It's a small world

It has been suggested that I am a bad blogger and should post more often. It isn't easy for me to blog because it seems somewhat self-absorbed to think that other people have nothing better to do than read about my life. But I will try to make more frequent posts from now on.

Today's topic is my latest reminder about how small the world can seem at times. On Saturday, I decided to get an earlier flight out of Phoenix and get back to DC a few hours earlier. As I was waiting for the 7AM shuttle to the airport, I started talking to another traveller waiting for the same shuttle. (Yes, Frank, I did engage.) As it turned out, he was a former UK resident. I think he said R89. We talked a bit about what is going on at the COP. When we got in the van, the third traveller turned out to be Trudy Banta, the assessment guru from IUPUI. She asked where we were from and when I said Lexington, KY, she told me that she grew up in Lexington and went to Henry Clay High School. So the three of us spent the rest of the trip discussing Lexington.

Of course, my plane was late and as we taxied out, they discovered a mechanical problem. I missed my connection in Detroit and had more than 2 hours to wait for another flight. I was sitting in the SkyClub watching the Michigan-Notre Dame game and saw a man watching from a distance. I invited him to sit down and watch the game (another engagement!). We started talking and I found out he is a retired history professor from the US Military Academy at West Point. We talked about the military academies for a while and he asked if my family had seen the series, Band of Brothers. Certain members of my family have seen it multiple times and we own the DVD too. Winters (I can't remember his first name), one of the main characters in the story, is a good friend of his and they wrote a book together about Winters called Beyond Band of Brothers. Another coincidence!

The evening ended badly as I arrived back at the condo in DC just in time to see Ohio State embarrassed once again on national TV.

1 comment:

  1. Much better!
    Well, now you have another book for your reading list!

    ReplyDelete