Friday, March 5, 2010

Cold and snowy WV

Blog followers, I apologize for my three day absence. The visit to West Virginia was busy and very tiring. We got picked up at the Pittsburgh airport on Tuesday and were transported to Morgantown, a 90 minutes trip. The days started before 7AM and Thursday we were not finished until after 11PM. This caused me to miss the entire UK-Georgia game. Fortunately, they were able to persevere without my support.

There is lots of snow in that area. I talked to a preceptor from the next county who said she has had more than 200 inches of snow this winter. What a great snow fort you could build there!

I am always amazed when I visit a school to see the diversity that exists even though we adhere to a common set of standards. I think those who say the standards are making us "cookie cutter" schools need to make more school visits. I also found it interesting that the preceptors strongly favor IPPE. They say the students have a better view of practice opportunities earlier and that they are better prepared for APPE when they get to that point.

Today I am back at the office working on my data from the P&T documents that I have collected. I also volunteered to help review and score the Walmart Scholar applications. There are four readers for each application so there is a lot of work to do.

Mike met me with the car in Morgantown and we drove back last night. We got to see the worst of life in the DC area. First we got caught in rush hour traffic (at 7PM!) on the beltway. We went 6 miles in about 50 minutes. Then we saw a police barricade near the Pentagon due to a shooting at the Pentagon metro stop. Stuff like that doesn't usually happen in Lexington.

It will be a fun weekend with Mike here and some warmer weather--predicted in the 50s. TGIF to all of you!

1 comment:

  1. Yea! The blog is back! I'd forgotten about it until I checked bloglines.com and there you were! Think good weather thoughts for my visit next weekend!
    -Melody

    ReplyDelete