Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Counting down the days



It's hard to believe that I have only seven more work days here in Virginia. Like most things in life, the days have gone slowly and the weeks have rushed by. Yesterday I felt that my manuscript draft was advanced enough to print and edit. I just might meet my goal of having a manuscript ready to submit when I leave here. So beware those of you who foolishly agreed to read the draft and give me comments. Watch your in-box today.

I met Diane (one of my cubicle-mates) and her husband, George, for dinner last night at the Macaroni Grill. It made me really miss the one in Lexington. When it closed, I was hopeful that they were just moving to Hamburg. Haven't seen one yet. George is an interesting guy. He was a Navy man and now, as a civilian, he works for the Navy. He is in charge of some system on all the submarines--too technical for me to understand. He is an engineer who went to MIT so you can see the problem I have in figuring out what he does.

As I count down the days, I will feature some of the friends I have made during my time at AACP. I don't have enough days to feature everyone so I will focus on those with whom I have spent the most time. Today's feature is on Diane. She works two cubicles over from me so I can easily hear her phone conversations. She works with the PharmCAS system (pharmacy school applications for those non-pharmacy types). She fields lots of calls from potential applicants and parents. She is infinitely patient answering their questions and is a wealth of information about schools, pharmacy as a career, and lots of random stuff too. Her experience as a parent of college students comes through in the empathy that is evident as families go through the trauma of choosing a school and hoping for acceptance. I really like Diane, and I did even before she brought me her homemade strawberry jam, but that sealed the deal.

1 comment: