Thursday, November 19, 2009

5 days and counting

It is hard to believe that the first half of my sabbatical is coming to a close. In 5 days I will get on a plane for my old Kentucky home. I have always been fascinated by the way days go by slowly but weeks fly by. Maybe a physicist or philosopher can explain it to me.

Hopefully all my belongings will fit in the suitcases. (Thank God for medallion status so I don'thave to pay for my luggage) I'm trying to get to a good stopping point on my project, pack my stuff to leave in Virginia in a safe place during condo renovation, and use up all the perishable groceries before I leave. Unfortunately, I think I will run out of food a few days early.

Tomorrow we have a Thanksgiving potluck at the office. I wanted to contribute a little bit of Kentucky flavor to the meal, so I signed up to bring sweet potato casserole. The recipe originally came from "mama" Chandler, Happy's wife. It includes a bourbon flavored brown sugar topping. I love the casserole, probably because it tastes as much like a dessert as a vegetable. It was also a good practice exercise for the family Thanksgiving dinner. It will be fun to have John, Brit, Chris and Carrie with us. Brit's mother, Vickie, may also join us. I hope I can get everything done in time for dinner on Thursday. I'm still looking for football tickets for Chris and Carrie (hint, hint).

I'd better get to work. Only 4 work days left in Virginia.

PS. Thanks to G-ma for reminding me that there is an NFL game tonight and I need to make my pick.

No comments:

Post a Comment