Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm gonna buy a lottery ticket

I just landed in Detroit - 30 minutes early - at gate A18. My connecting flight to Milwaukee goes out of gate A19. I got an upgrade to first class on both segments. And the escalator up to the Delta Sky Club is right by my gate! This has got to be a sign that it is my lucky day.

I had another "it's a small world experience." The guy sitting next to me on the plane looked pretty unfriendly. He also had two Vodka and cranberry cocktails at 9:30 in the morning. I did not "engage" him in conversation until about 10 minutes before landing. He mentioned that he grew up in northeast Ohio around Akron. When I said I grew up in Alliance, he laughed and said he grew up in Minerva, a town even smaller than my hometown. He always says Akron because nobody has ever heard of Minerva. He is an ecologist from Harvard on a two year assignment with the NSF to chair a committee or something related to energy and climate change. I asked him if all this stuff is real. He said yes but the real problem is the big stuff like airliners. The irony is his job requires him to fly about 150,000 miles a year. I think I will still recycle.

This is my third posting today. I'm trying to get ahead in case I don't have internet access again until the weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Y'know - when I "don't engage" I don't wind up knowing that my seatmate grew up in the next town . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will probably be in the office packing this weekend - in case you are bored around the house.

    ReplyDelete