Friday, November 6, 2009

A request from my son

This afternoon I got a text message from Chris asking that I get back to posting to my blog. I was flattered to know that he reads it and cares to keep up with what I am doing, so I will take the hint and try to return to regular blogging. John has also told me that he regularly reads my blog while he has his morning coffee. I hope he has been able to drink his coffee even though he hasn't had regular reading material.

I forgot to mention last week that it was American Pharmacy Educators' Week. For all of you non-pharmacists, it would have been a good time to honor me with gifts and notes of appreciation.

It has been a pretty busy week. I have been collecting promotion and tenure documents from schools of pharmacy for my project. I currently have 57 sets of documents. It will not be fun to read them. They are pretty boring. I hope to have close to 100 sets of documents when I am finished. So I will have to curb my partying ways (at least that is what Brittany thinks I am doing) and get to work.

On Wednesday and Thursday, the AACP Board of Directors met here in Alexandria and I was able to sit in on the meeting. It is interesting to get updated on what is going on in pharmacy education on a national level. Oftentimes, we are so focused on the issues in our own school, we lose sight of the big picture. The meeting was at the Hotel Monaco on King Street. It is part of the Kimpton group of hotels and is quite nicely decorated. I thought of Melody when I saw the decor. It seemed like the kind of place she would choose to stay. I overheard the board members talking about the robes they had in their rooms--either tiger or zebra-striped. Sounds pretty interesting.

Part of attending the meeting is having meals with the group. I really enjoyed that because I didn't need to worry about shopping or cooking for two days. On Wednesday night there was a retirement reception for Sam Tart, who left AACP after more than 20 years. Even though I didn't work with him for very long, he is a wonderful man who will be missed by all at AACP. He likes horse racing so we had some interesting conversations about handicapping the horses.

One of the board members stayed overnight last night because it made several hundred dollars difference in plane fare. So I hiked back down to the Hotel Monaco last night and she and I went out to dinner--back to one of my old favorites, Il Porto. I will have leftover veal parmesan for dinner tonight. Yum.

It should be a quiet weekend on my own in Virginia. I have lots of work to do reading for an accreditation visit next week and finishing slides for a presentation in December. I hope to watch UK and OSU football tomorrow if I can find them on the TV here. If the weather is good, I will get in some walking time too. I have noticed that it gets dark quite a bit earlier here than in Lexington. By 5:30 it is really dark. Unfortunately, that means winter is coming soon.

I hope this meets Chris's expectation for some blogging. I promise to do better.

1 comment: